Black & Veatch Engineering Technician 5 - Lead Substation Designer in Overland Park, Kansas
Engineering Technician 5 - Lead Substation Designer
Performs or leads functions requiring technical knowledge utilizing electronic applications, processes, standards and document control processes/procedures for the purpose of creating or modifying deliverable. Evaluates methods used to accomplish the drafting and/or design activities. With more experience, would modify or create deliverables and perform assignments of a design nature by applying basic engineering principles and established design practices to develop complex design concepts; as well as provide technical guidance and may provide direction to other engineering professionals.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Applies knowledge of standards, systems, document control, departmental guides, applicable codes and B&V policies and procedures.
• May review project requirements and accurately determine the correct format and contents of the required deliverables.
Quality / Continuous Improvement:
• Proactively applies B&V Quality Program to deliverables.
• Demonstrates personal accuracy and supports continuous improvement and change management efforts. Reviews design inputs in order to ensure consistency.
• Assists to ensure deliverables are in compliance with the specific codes and standards suitable for the project.
• Apply basic engineering principles and established design practices in developing moderately complex design concepts and deliverables.
• Begins to apply judgment and make decisions with respect to deliverables and input interpretation. Capable of handling difficult technical assignments within an area of expertise and can provide technical guidance to other professionals.
• Performs design calculations, detailed material quantities and estimates, and records.
• Review the deliverables of others. Define work assignments and maintain schedules. May program control systems or participate in other plant start-up activities associated with a specialized area of expertise.
• Coordinates with other design group personnel to review and exchange project information necessary for design development.
• Support field activities.
• Focuses on the needs of internal clients while utilizing an understanding of external client's main interests and drivers.
Knowledge Sharing, Innovation and Technology:
• Proactively seeks and shares knowledge of latest technologies and processes.
• Apply judgment and makes decisions with respect to deliverables and input interpretation.
• Assist with performance management process, mentoring, and recognition.
• Provide guidance to lesser experienced Engineering technicians.
• Provide mentoring, instruction, delegation of work and feedback.
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Associate’s degree in drafting or an Engineering Design Related Technology strongly preferred. AutoCAD, MicroStation or related software experience and/or PLS-CADD is preferred. Experience with electrical drafting or design or with Civil Transmission Line or Civil/Structural substation design or drafting
Black & Veatch Holding Company, its subsidiaries and its affiliated companies, complies with all Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) affirmative action laws and regulations. Black & Veatch does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender Identity and expression, disability, veteran status, pregnancy status or other status protected by law.
For our EEO Policy Statement, please clickhere. If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please clickhereandhere.